STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO STUDY ABROAD
Think about what type of study abroad program you are interested in: semester, summer, faculty-led short course or academic year abroad? Are you interested in doing more than one type (ex. faculty-led short course and a semester abroad)?
- Click here to read more about the different types of programs we offer
- Attend an info session to learn more. Check out our page of upcoming events and follow us on Facebook.
- Browse course brochures and pick up course sheet and cost sheets in the Study Away Office (Kanbar 102)
- Keep in mind that for summer, semester and academic year programs students must have a minimum of 60 credits completed on their transcript before they are allowed to participate. Students typically apply as sophomores and go abroad as juniors.
- Short Courses may be available any year (not guaranteed for all majors)
Schedule a meeting with your Academic Advisor to discuss a course plan.
What classes do you need to take each semester in order to graduate on time?
Is there any flexibility regarding the order in which you take certain classes, or do they have to be taken in a specific order?
Do you know which classes have pre-requisites, and do you know what those pre-requisites are?
Based on the term you chose to go abroad, are there certain classes you will need to take abroad to stay on track? If so, what are they? What Hallmarks courses will you need abroad?
Decide where you want to study abroad.
If you are unsure what your options are, you may schedule an appointment with the Director of Study Abroad or Study Abroad Advisors to help you figure that out. You should bring the course plan you worked on with your advisor to this appointment so we can discuss which institutions abroad have the courses you need. Come to Kanbar 102 to schedule a meeting or sign up for one through your program's page on this website.
Once you have your term, location, and tentative course plan figured out, you are ready to begin the application process.
The application is online and available through the Study Abroad Office website. Your login credentials will be the same as you use for WebAdvisor and email. Click the Apply Now button to get started!
Keep in mind that applications run in cycles, so students cannot apply too far in advance. Click on the link above for deadlines. Semester and Summer application cycles typically open October 1 and close in February (for Fall and Summer) or April (for following Spring). Short course deadlines are often in the Fall.
Make sure all application materials are completed by the advertised deadline.
- Your application is complete when all items listed in the application have a check mark next to it. Some material items (transcript, course forms, etc.) will need to be checked off manually by the Study Abroad Office upon receipt of that item. Other items that are completed online will be checked off automatically upon completion.
- Schedule an official meeting with a Study Abroad Advisor or the Study Abroad Director or attend a group advising session
Be sure to keep in touch with the faculty members who will be writing your recommendations, as these must be completed by the deadline as well.
If the foreign institution you are applying to requires additional application materials, be sure to start working on these materials by our office’s deadline (unless the foreign program’s deadline is earlier than ours).
- Follow the link on your program's page to access their application instructions
- If you are unsure what your foreign institutions requirements are, ask the Study Abroad Office for assistance.
- You will need approval from the Study Abroad Office in the application process. This will happen once the Study Abroad office has accepted your application
- Most pre-approved programs will waive the application fee and deposit.
- For external programs, acceptance may take longer and is not guaranteed.
- Make sure to complete your materials by the program's deadline.
Important: Once you commit, the $800 ($500 summer) administrative fee will become non-refundable and will included on your bill for the semester abroad.
Please inform the Study Abroad Office ASAP if you have concerns.