All students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to be eligible for this program.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
The University of Melbourne is one of Australia's leading higher education institutions, with top ten world rankings in education, law, linguistics, psychology accounting an and finance, and medicine. Arts and culture imbues Melbourne's many laneways, markets, arcades and neighborhoods. Melbournians love coffee and food and love to be out and about. You are sure to enjoy Australia's #1 University in the heart of the world's most livable city.
- Most classes are organized around a core series of lectures and tutorials, while students work independently on research projects and essays
- Round out your classroom experience with hands-on opportunities like internships, directed research, student teaching, community-based learning or volunteering, and cultural excursions.
- View the University of Melbourne's online course catalog to see what may be the best course for you to take. Note that at Melbourne, classes or courses are called subjects.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts students with a specialty at their home university have the unique opportunity to pursue classes at the Victorian College of the Arts (VCA) on the Southbank Campus or the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (MCM) on the Parkville Campus in relation to their major.
- The University of Melbourne requires all study abroad students to take four courses worth 12.5 points for a total of 50 Melbourne points which equals 16 U.S. semester credit hours.
6.25 UME points = 2 U.S. semester credit hours
12.5 UME points = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
50 UME points = 16 U.S. semester credit hours
LIVING IN MELBOURNE
Australia offers an amazing combination of the rugged Outback, the urban sophistication of cities like Sydney, and the laid-back nature of its coastal cities. Australia features unusual geological rock formations, unique wildlife, ancient fossils and Aboriginal rock carvings, while the semitropical rainforests and Great Barrier Reef offer enticing possibilities for exploration. Along the coasts, large cities provide plenty of opportunities for culture, sports and entertainment. Melbourne was recently voted most livable city for the 7th year in a row!
Access on-campus amenities such as health services, post office, banks, restaurants, cafes, bistros, food cooperative, pharmacy, dental service, hair salon, news agent, bookstore, computer store, travel agent, cinema, theatres, art galleries, and stalls selling fruits, vegetables, clothing and general merchandise?. An energetic and active student union that sponsors concerts, speakers and cultural events Union House, the hub of campus social life and home to many of the 160 clubs and societies. Great indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, including a mountain lodge.
You may select a self catered, off-campus apartment/flat at UniLodge where you share a two bedroom, one bathroom flat with another IFSA or international student. Each is fully furnished and has a kitchen. Or, you can elect to apply to the residence hall/dormitory and will have three meals per day included; however, there is an additional semester fee of $5,000+ for the meal plan and additional housing services. Please note that spaces in residential colleges are extremely competitive and placements are made by the college rather than IFSA. Students who are not placed in a residential college will automatically be placed in UniLodge.
How much should you budget? Click here for the anticipated general cost sheet: General Cost Sheet 18-19.pdf
ORIENTATION & PRE-DEPARTURE ORIENTATION
All students must attend pre-departure orientation before studying abroad. Students will be informed of safety protocol, health insurance, money management, and more. Former study abroad students will be available to provide peer advice on general and/or specific matters.
AUSTRALIAN VISA REQUIREMENTS
Students studying in Australia will need to apply for a student visa. Visit https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/500-
for more information.
for a list of scholarships offered.